The United States Marine Corps has a rich tradition of special operations, from World War II’s famed Marine Raiders and Para Marines to Korea and Vietnam’s legendary Marine Force Recon companies. But when U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) was created in 1987 in the wake of the abortive Desert One hostage rescue mission, the Marines did not join in. Spec ops on land, sea, and air were covered by the Army, Navy, and Air Force, and the Marines Corps felt it needed to keep its top warriors in its conventional forces.
In the post-9/11 world, however, the need for special operations forces dramatically increased. With the creation of the Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC) in 2006, Marines officially became part of USSOCOM. Initially drawn from the ranks of Force Recon companies, these highly skilled and combat-proven Leathernecks joined their spec ops brethren in taking the war to al-Qaeda and the Taliban in America’s global war on terrorism.
MARSOC’s mission is to win wars before they begin, taking combat beyond the frontlines. When America needs to respond to aggression in distant lands, the call comes to send in the Marines. With the creation of MARSOC, chances are special operations Marines are already there.
Now, Zenith would like to give Special Ops buffs a chance to win one of five free copies of our new book MARSOC: U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations Command. It's easy to enter and costs nothing but a minute of your time (see below). Best of luck!
Official "MARSOC" Sweepstakes Entry Guidelines:
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited.
1. To Enter: To enter, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org (type "MARSOC Sweepstakes" in subject line) with the following information:
- Full name
- City, state/province of residence
Sweepstakes begins November 16, 2011 12:01 a.m. CST and all email entries must be received by December 1, 2011 11:59 p.m. CST. Limit one entry per person or per household. All entrants must have a valid email address. In case of dispute as to identity of entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, website, Internet, or ISP unavailability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one's ability to enter this Promotion, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Promotion or downloading any materials in this Promotion. All entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
2. Random Drawing. From all eligible entries received, a random drawing will be held on or about December 2, 2011 by Zenith Press ("Sponsor"), whose decisions concerning all matters related to this sweepstakes are final. Winners will be notified by e-mail. Winner may be required to sign and return an affirmation of eligibility and publicity/liability release within fifteen (15) days of notification attempt or prize may be awarded to an alternate.
3. Prize. 1 free copy of MARSOC: U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations Command to five randomly drawn entrants. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") of each book: $24.99. Odds of winning depend on upon the number of eligible entries received. If any prize is won by a minor, it will be awarded in the name of minor's parent or legal guardian.
4. Eligibility. Only open to residents of the 50 United States, District of Columbia, and Canada, age 18 and older. Employees, and members of their families, of Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and its advertising, promotion and production agencies, are not eligible to enter.
5. General. If for any reason, (including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of Sponsor, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes), the Sweepstakes is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Sponsor shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. Void in Puerto Rico and where otherwise prohibited by law. No cash substitutions, transfer or assignment of prizes allowed, except by Sponsor who reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value in the event of unavailability. By accepting prize winner grants to Sponsor the right to use his/her name, likeness, hometown, and biographical information in advertising and promotion, including on the Site, without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. All taxes and any other expenses on the receipt and use of prizes are the sole responsibility of the winners. By accepting a prize, winner releases Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, subsidiaries, suppliers, and agents from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense, including without limitation property damages, personal injury and/or death, arising out of participation in this Sweepstakes or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize.
6. Sponsor: Zenith Press, 400 1st Ave. N., Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55401
7. Questions. Please direct any questions or concerns to email@example.com.